Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Superiority on a Toasted English Muffin









Mike & Patty’s

12 Church St. Boston, MA

Price: $4.00

Rating: 91/100

Fullness: Not ashamed

Throughout the Breakfast Crusade I embarked on this past October, I’ve come across the decent, the crummy and the tasteless. Very rarely, I encountered what could only be explained as a religious experience. I walked into Mike & Patty’s today, appropriately located on Church St. and had my eyes re-opened like one of those Born Again’s. Getting my sandwich was like the generic teen film scene when the music cuts out and the hot girl walks down the stairs to greet her nerdy prom date. Hot girl sandwich, me nerdy prom date. Ya’ll get it.

It prides me to announce The Boston Breakfast Sandwich Authority’s first 90+ breakfast sandwich: Mike & Patty’s “Bacon & Egg Classic”. Bacon was crispy (just the way he likes it), American cheese was gooey and the egg was fried with high standards. This egg was so fresh it might have fallen out of a hen’s be-hind just this morning. Wouldn’t surprise me one bit.

I actually ended up ordering a second Bacon & Egg Classic. This was a first for the Phantom. I think one would have sufficed any normal appetite, but the option for another was far too tempting to resist.

I had never heard of Mike & Patty’s until this morning on Yelp, and it was close enough for a March bike ride. I had a little bit of trouble finding it, but perhaps this was because it doesn’t have a sign out front. This added to the quaint overall feel (to be a food connoisseur you have to use words like “quaint” every once in awhile). When I finally found it and got in there I realized the reviews I read on Yelp weren’t kidding, it was teeny tiny. But by some sort of miracle of science they fit four girls behind the counter. Everyone was really friendly. I had the pleasant opportunity of meeting Patty and she had a few great suggestions for other sandwiches around the city. Thank you Patty!

I took some time to review the rest of the menu and there were plenty of other mouth-watering breakfast/lunch offerings. They also had a small selection of interesting drinks. I purchased a Ginger Brew soda to wash down the history-making sandwich.

If you’re serious about breakfast sandwiches, consider a pilgrimage to Mike & Patty’s on Church St. in Boston’s Bay Village!

No comments:

Post a Comment