Friday, November 6, 2009

Bacon Phantom Gets Curveball and a Homerun









The Snack Bar

691 Cambridge St. East Cambridge, MA

Price: $5.35

Rating: 85/100

Fullness: Filled!

The following must be read with the understanding that I never planned on submitting this evaluation on the BSA blog. However, I exercised my executive authority to include the following sandwich after considering its contents.

Don’t judge me.

Ladies and gents, The Snack Bar’s “Portuguese Man ‘o War”! I was tipped off by last weeks Boston Phoenix cheap eats column about this little East Cambridge pizzeria gem. The sub features seasoned pork, deli ham, a fried egg and provolone cheese. I had some extra time today at work to figure out where to get my lunch so I dropped in to try this submarine sandwich that could probably stop Lance Armstrong’s heart.

As you can see from the photo above, I didn’t even consider reviewing this artery clogger until about 2 bites from completion. This was about when I realized why I was so drawn to it; it’s essentially a breakfast sandwich in lunch form with ham, egg, and cheese plus pork, which is weird, but who cares?

That being said, HOLY Shit folks. Molten provolone, delicious ham, the dankest of pork and 2 real fried eggs all on a toasted sub roll! One note on the pork was the excess blubber that I could have done without (bottom right of the photo). Then again, you can’t expect the creator of this beast to think the person ordering it’s going to give a damn about a ‘lil gristle, know what I mean?

The sub was also hot as Hell, which is likely where I’m going for eating this deadly sin. Regardless, the lesson learned today is that glory is out there. We’ve just got to look in the right places.

No comments:

Post a Comment