Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Broken Yolk Breaking Records


















The Broken Yolk

136 College Ave, Somerville

Price: $4.77

Rating: 84/100

Fullness: like swallowing a 3-course meal

The journey continued today as I paid a visit to The Broken Yolk in Somerville this morning on College Ave. I’ve heard some good things including a self-proclaimed world-famous breakfast burrito. A number of people talked to me about this place so today was the day.

I was posed with a wide array of breakfast sandwich options such as a steak, egg and cheese, a veggie medley, egg & cheese as well as the very tempting corned beef hash, egg & cheese. There was also the suicidal double meat, double egg, double cheese on 3 slices of toast, but I told myself no. With some deliberation, I settled on the one with steak and took a seat at one of their bright yellow tables. I used the time to look around and get a feel for the place, which was very yellow and baby blue. It was a nice little diner atmosphere with a chipper Latino gentleman manning the counter.

About 11 or 12 minutes went by when the smiley fellow came around the corner with my sammy. Thornton’s “Breakfast Burger” was a tough act to follow, but The Broken Yolk was able to deliver with some innovation. This was something the Bacon Phantom had never come across before. Wrapped delicately in a thin blanket of egg(beater) was essentially a steak and cheese. I didn’t really know what to expect, but the shaved steak caught me off guard. I was imagining an egg and cheese with a flank of steak or something like McDonalds tried passing off back in the late 90s.

The scorching hot breakfast package was tucked inside a gently toasted plain bagel. The whole sandwich came out at about 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Pretending to exhibit restraint, I waited about 30 seconds and then dove in fangs first.

This thing was delicious, but far from nutritious. I got about half way through and had to come up for air. Cheese was dripping and flavor was bursting. The excess of grease was a bit of a negative, but nowhere near the Busy Bee experience. Nevertheless, it was a great experience. The egg blanket provided an organized eating situation, which proved to helped push its way passed the Breakfast Burger in ratings.

Some of you may be thinking steak and cheese wrapped in an egg doesn’t exactly sound like a breakfast number. I’m not necessarily disagreeing, but I will say this: if I were to eat breakfast for all three meals of the day, I’d save this baby for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment