Sunday, November 8, 2009

Order some water with this one









Crispy Crepes Café

512 Park Drive, Boston

Price: $3.71

Rating: 55/100

Fullness: Thank you hash browns.

Today’s sandwich came from a little Mediterranean spot that I’ve been frequenting since I moved to Beacon Street. It’s a little sit down place, but you order your food at the counter. They make delicious crepes, however today I was on a specific mission. I’ve had their breakfast sandwiches before in traditional as well as triangular crepe form. I felt it was important for information gathering purposes that I didn’t spread my wings too far. I approached the counter to order a BEC on a plain toasted bagel and a side of hash browns for some nourishment.

I took a seat at one of their many tables and after a few minutes most of my company received their meals. Mine however took a bit longer than expected (10 minutes or so). With close examination, I saw that my bagel was lightly toasted, egg slightly burnt, bacon nicely cooked and cheese already melting its way through the bagel hole. Aside from the egg, I was fairly pleased with what I was looking at.

My first bite didn’t really have any flavors jumping out at me. I took a second bite to try and find where the flavor was. Still couldn’t be found. I was confused because as I mentioned, I’ve had this very same sandwich before and sort of enjoyed it. Crispy Crepes didn’t bring their A-game today, but in general they’re a solid go-to for cheap eats (bro talk).

There is another thing I would like to briefly address. There has always been something peculiar about their bacon. A guest of mine joked that perhaps it was horse bacon. I had never heard of such a thing, but after this breakfast session, I’m not sure what to think.

Here’s what was good about the sandwich: the bagel was soft and nicely toasted, the egg was real, the horse bacon was crispy and the whole thing was hot. That being said, the egg was too small and left a few bare bagel bites (very dry, big negative). Actually, the whole thing was like chewing through the Sahara. I’d like to know why restaurants are afraid of using scrambled egg for their sandwiches? Perhaps it would take a little more time, but I like putting some milk and cheese in my scrambled egg when making a “bfastwich”. That’s a good way to add some moisture without having to sop the bagel in grease.

My closing thoughts are this: There was no grand finale. I honestly didn’t even want to finish the sandwich. Unfortunately I had to in the interest of getting my money’s worth.

I’m not writing Crispy Crepe’s off forever. You can’t expect the Coming of Christ to appear in a bacon, egg and cheese at a crepe place. All I’m looking for is a little thoughtfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment