Tuesday, November 10, 2009

On the 7th Day, He created the Breakfast Burger









Thornton’s Restaurant & Café

150 Huntington Ave., Boston

Price: $5.95 (sandwich/homefries meal)

Rating: 80/100

Fullness: pleasantly full

My search today lead me to a breakfast, lunch & dinner place on Huntington Ave. called Thornton’s Restaurant & Café that serves breakfast all day. The name had me reminiscing of old Thornton’s Restaurant/Bar on Peterborough Street that got leveled in a fiery Hell (RIP). Quite the opposite was today’s breakfast sammy that tasted like it had descended straight from Heaven. Created by the hands of the late Julia Child beyond the Pearly Gates and sent down alongside some well-seasoned homefries.

I ordered the “Breakfast Burger” from a well-mannered gentleman who asked what style of egg I preferred, to which I requested scrambled. The Immaculate Conception of my breakfast took about 12-14 minutes and when it came out it was glowing. The sandwich came on a perfectly toasted English muffin with one very melty slice of orange cheddar and the equivalent of about 2 to 3 eggs worth of eggbeaters. I almost had to unhinge my lower jaw like an anaconda just to get my mouth around the thing!

The Bacon Phantom finds eggbeaters to be a sinful way to cut corners and because of this he had to knock the overall rating down from an 87 to an 80. Only real scrambled egg could have done divine justice for this “Breakfast Burger.” Nevertheless, this meal was fantastic. The quality breakfast sausage was met with high appreciation and the cheddar instead of American was found to be a nice touch.

Although there was no real “burger” as advertised, I was still highly satisfied with the one sausage that had been split a few times down the middle and settled atop the mountain of egg.

Any breakfast sandwich aficionado interested in experiencing Thornton’s Breakfast Burger come ready with an appetite and be prepared to use both hands. GOD SPEED.

No comments:

Post a Comment