Monday, November 2, 2009

Our first satisfactory experience








Temptations Café

313 Huntington Ave, Boston

Price: $4.02

Rating: 74/100

Fullness: full enough for 4 bucks

Located across from the YMCA on Huntington is Temptations Café. I had never heard of this place and really only selected it because they were still serving breakfast. I walked in and ordered my usual bacon, egg, and cheese on a plain toasted bagel. I’ve been specifying that my bagel be toasted ever since the cholesterol catastrophe at Busy Bee (see below).

The sandwich took about 6 minutes to assemble so I knew there weren’t going to be any masterpieces served today, but I chose to remain optimistic. I got my sandwich, unwrapped it from the wax paper and observed a puff of a steam. Always a plus to have it served hot. Out tumbled some crisp bacon crumbles as well, which I appreciated, but I had to deduct some points for this in the spirit of the search for the perfect sandwich. The BEC actually featured a plethora of crisp bacon, along with melted American cheese, and one real egg upon a soft, chewy plain bagel.

Within the first few bites I was fairly positive the bacon was precooked (losing much of its flavor). This cost it some points in the evaluation as well. It also made it clear to me that they really don’t care enough about the sandwich to cook the bacon from scratch.

The best flavor experience came from the combination of all the elements. This may seem obvious, but sometimes some flavors stand out more than others. In this instance however it was the bacon, real egg, and melted American that came together to carry itself through to the end. Despite some setbacks, the overall experience was positive, earning a solid C.

Although far from perfect, I would recommend dabbling with Temptations BEC. Four dollars is a bit steep, but it’s to be expected around these parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment